The driver training software for driving schools has been terminated. Carnetsoft specialized in research simulation software and clinical applications and this takes up all available time and resources. This means that Carnetsoft has stopped selling the driver training software to driving schools and secondary schools or any other clients that provide driver training services.
However, the driver training package is still included in the research simulator software package.
Driving simulator software for initial driver education
The driver training curriculum contains:
- 15 databases (highway, roundabouts, urban environment, rural environment, motorways, etc).
- 50 individual lessons that cover vehicle control, traffic participation and adverse weather and lighting conditions.
- Vehicle control lessons: reverse parking, reversing around a corner, gear changing, steering techniques, lane changing, passing and overtaking, use of indicator etc.
- Traffic participation: scanning techniques while approaching intersections and when changing lanes, roundabouts, motorways and highways, city driving, right of way rules etc.
- Both left-hand drive and right-hand drive available
- Rules of the road and road signs for various countries, for example, the UK, India, South Africa, Ireland, Australia, The Netherlands, etc.
Information in Dutch (rijsimulator) can be found on a separate page.
Important elements of training that make a difference
The driver training packag covers around 50 lessons, varying from 5 to 25 minutes each. The most important characteristics of the curriculum:
- Automation training of a number of important driving tasks: driving off (control of clutch to prevent stalling of the engine), steering, gear changing, lane changing (especially scanning techniques and use of indicator), intersection right turn, left turn and going straight ahead (especially scanning techniques, priority rules, use of indicator, speed control and gear changing), and roundabout first, second and third exit.
- The Virtual Instructor (VI) gives advanced feedback on driver errors and observes behaviour of the student continuously, which makes this an excellent school driving simulator. The VI monitors the situation the driver is in, and the driver responses. It evaluates which driver task is currently performed and gives immediate spoken feedback. This greatly enhanced training effectiveness.
- Student Assessment System (SAS) generates detailed reports of student progress.
- Strength/Weakness analysis provides quick overview of strong points and weak points of skill development.
- Very complete training program for driver training.
- Didactics promotes automation of driver skills.
- Training emphasizes safe driving and eco-driving.
- Highly configurable and easy to use user interface.
Lessons are available for both left-lane driving (as in Australia and UK) and right-lane driving traffic systems (as in most European countries). Lessons may differ between country versions. For more information, download the manual for the training system.
Overview of lessons
Time is measured in minutes.
|Module drive off||I- StartStop||5||Instruction: start engine, drive off, stop the car, turn of engine|
|AUTOM_ Driveoff||20||Automation: drive off|
|Module steering||I- Steering1||11||Instruction: steering: pass-on and cross-over methods|
|P- Steering2||9||Practice: steering at higher speed|
|Module change gear||I- ChangeGear||4||Instruction: change gear manually|
|AUTOM_ ChangeGear||20||Automation: change gear|
|Module change lanes||I- ChangeLanes||10||Instruction: change lanes|
|I- Overtaking||5||Instruction: passing and overtaking|
|AUTOM- ChangeLanes||20||Automation: change lanes|
|P- Control||8||Integration: skills to control the vehicle|
|Module parking||P- Reversing||5||Practice: driving in reverse gear around a corner|
|I- Parallel Parking||3||Instruction: reverse parallel parking|
|I- Bay parking||3||Instruction: reverse parking into a bay|
|P- Parking||5||Practice: reverse parking|
|Module intersections||I- Obser vation||18||Instruction: visual scanning and vehicle control (indicator, gear, speed) when approaching an intersection and turning left, right or going straight ahead|
|I- Priority||10||Instruction: Priority rules|
|AUTOM- ScanStraight||15||Automation: straight ahead at intersections|
|AUTOM- ScanRight||15||Automation: turn right at intersections|
|AUTOM- ScanLeft||15||Automation: turn left at intersections|
|Module roundabouts||I- Round about1||5||Instruction: approaching and driving on small roundabouts|
|P- Round about1||6||Training: approaching and driving on small roundabouts|
|I- Round about2||5||Instruction: approaching and driving on large roundabouts|
|P- Round about2||7||Training: approaching and driving on large roundabouts|
|AUTOM- RoundFirst||15||Automation: roundabout first exit|
|AUTOM- RoundSecond||15||Automation: roundabout second exit|
|AUTOM- RoundThird||15||Automation: roundabout third exit|
|Integration||P- Traffic1||12||Practice: traffic interactions in rural areas|
|P- Traffic2||8||Practice: traffic interactions in practice area|
|P- Traffic3||11||Practice: traffic interactions in urban areas with pedestians|
|P-Carriage ways||11||Practice: single and dual carriageways|
|I- Merging||9||Instruction: filtering in and out on highways|
|P- Highway1||4||Practice: driving on a highway, filtering in and out|
|P- Highway2||4||Practice: driving on a highway, merging traffic|
|P- Highway3||5||Practice: driving on a highway, filtering in in a traffic jam|
|P- Highway4||20||Practice: prolonged driving on a highway|
|P- Fog1||14||Practice: fog outside build-up area|
|P- Fog2||5||Practice: fog on highway|
|P- Rain||14||Practice: driving while it is raining|
|P- Snow1||16||Practice: slippery road|
|P- Snow2||16||Practice: driving while it is snowing, adverse weather, reduced visibility and slippery road|
|P- Night1||9||Practice: night driving 1, no traffic|
|P- Night2||12||Practice: night driving 2, rural area|
|P- Night3||5||Practice: night driving 3, Highway|