Driving simulator software for training and research
Carnetsoft develops professional low-cost driving simulator software for driver training and research. The software is installed on a desktop driving simulator. Carnetsoft only sells business to business, to research institutes, clinics and universities and driving schools. On this page the research simulator functionality is presented.
In addition, the following applications for the driving simulator software can be ordered, please check the appropriate pages:
- Driver training driving simulator.
- Driving simulator for clinical applications.
- Safety awareness training, as a part of driver training.
In addition, please check the following:
- General aspects of the driving simulator software.
- Information about ordering the driving simulator software and more information about driver training software.
Because the price of our driving simulator software is almost always much lower (1500 euro for the driver training software and 2500 euro for the research simulator software) than the price threshold for tenders, Carnetsoft does not participate in tenders. Customers can avoid tedious tender procedures by ordering directly from Carnetsoft, because tenders are only required for really expensive simulator systems.
Create, test and run advanced experiments
The Carnetsoft research driving simulator is a programmable, fully interactive driving simulator with 210 degrees surround graphics HD rendering over 6 channels: left, center and right view plus 3 rearview mirrors on each monitor. That’s a resolution of 5760×1080 pixels. Click here to ask a question, order a simulator or just the software.
Create and run car driving behaviour and human factors experiments, and increase your productivity as a researcher. Experiments can be created quickly and results are analyzed efficiently. The toolset enables you to define experiments in a wide range of subjects.
Experiments can be created in the domains of
- Experimental Psychology (studies on attention, vigilance, workload, perception),
- Social Psychology (measures to influence driving behaviour),
- Clinical Psychology and Psychiatry (effects on exposure on phobias and anxieties while driving),
- Human Factors research (interfaces, secondary tasks, workload, autonomous driving),
- Pharmacology (effects of alcohol and drugs on behaviour), studies on training and learning, studies on driver fitness,
- Studies into autonomous driving and driver assistance systems,
And all of this for a price every human factors and experimental psychology research group can afford. The driving simulator software costs 2500 euro, which is a fraction of the cost of comparable research driving simulator software licences. In addition to testing your research questions and helping you to make valuable contributions to science and create publications, this research instrument is very suitable for education and training of research skills. Carnetsoft takes active measures to reduce the incidence of simulator sickness.
Op a separate webpage you can read information about how to set up an experiment with the research simulator software. The PDF version can be found here…. Read more information about how to set up a simulator experiment. It addresses the following subjects:
- The workflow….
- How to run the experiment you created
- How to create experiment files
- How to process the data
- How to create and modify scenario scripts
- How to use, create or modify virtual environments.
The research simulator comes with a number of example experiments. The PDF version can be found here…. The example experiments are described in a separate webpage in the form of a short course.
Subjects to be treated in this course:
- Location of files, folders and programs
- Description of the Brake reaction time experiment
- Description of the Steer reaction time experiment
- Description of the workload experiment
The strong points of this research driving simulator software
- The most affordable research driving simulator in the market: the complete research simulator software modules plus runtime simulation software costs only €2500, which is a fraction of the price of comparable alternatives
- flexible and quick design and testing of experiment with an easy-to-learn script language
- extensive tools, including a database designer to create roads and virtual environments. Since the software comes with 15 ready to use databases (virtual environments) its usually not required nor recommended that the user creates new virtual environments, because it requires specialistic skills to make a new database from scratch.
- a large number of variables can be sampled including time headway, time to collision, brake reaction time, time to line crossing, etc. In addition you can create your own dependent variables to sample with 10 Hz, or do all data analysis in real-time during the experiment, and save the output in an external file
- 3-display surround graphics of high quality with 5760×1080 resolution, running at 60 Hz
- realistic artificially intelligent traffic
- a large number of standard databases and experiment scripts that will get you running quickly
- python scripts of the rendering engine are included so you have full access to the graphics rendering
- flexible support via email and skype/teamviewer that greatly helps you with the development of experiments.
- various levels of autonomous driving and driving support can be selected and programmed.
Each software installation tuned to your country
When you order a research driving simulator software package, a set of 15 virtual environments (databases) is provided with:
- road signs and road markings that are used in your country
- an environment that matches the climate zone of your country (more pine trees and green meadows in Northern countries, more dry ground and palm trees in Middle Eastern countries etc.)
All vehicles carry licence plates as used in your country, and the traffic system implements road rules, including speed limits and driving on the proper side of the road as applied in your country. The language is generally English.
That means the road databases are not replications of specific towns and areas in your country, because that would make a country specific implementation extremely expensive because of the labour involved in development.
The research driving simulator of Carnetsoft has been used by researchers to produce a large number of publications in very different fields of driver centered behavioural research. These studies include experiments that have used the research simulator software together with eye trackers, MATLAB applications and EEG recordings. Various different fields of science have been studied, such as research aimed at theory development, driver assistance systems and autonomous driving, older drivers, dyslexia, virtual reality, multitasking and driver distraction, driver fatigue and vigilance, etc. As can be seen in the list of recent publications on this page, research based on the Carnetsoft driving simulator software has been published in numerous conference proceedings and in journals as diverse as Journal of Applied Research in Memory and Cognition, Transportation Research Part F: Traffic Psychology and Behaviour, Human Factors, Journal of Learning Disabilities, Information Sciences, Journal of Aging Research, Accident Analysis & Prevention, Applied Ergonomics, Psychological Research and Cognitive Neurodynamics.
can be found everywhere in the world, for example:
– University Hospital Bern (Switserland)
– ETH Zurich (Switzerland)
– University of Nottingham (UK)
– Oxford Brookes University (UK)
– NTNU Trondheim (Norway)
– University of Oslo (Norway)
– University of South Carolina (USA)
– University of Oklahoma (USA)
– Carnegy Mellon University (USA)
– Worchester Polytechnic Institute (USA)
– Old Dominion University Virginia (USA)
– Pennsylvania State University (USA)
– University of Waterloo (Canada)
– University of Thessaly (Greece)
– Deutsche Sporthochschule Koln (Germany)
– Technische Universitat Chemnitz (Germany)
– University of Valencia (Spain)
– University of Granada (Spain)
– TMU Taipei (Taiwan)
– Kaohsiung Medical University (Taiwan)
– University Hospital Seoul (Korea)
– Ariel University (Israel)
– National University of Singapore
– Chulalongkorn University (Thailand)
– Healthlink Hong Kong
– Universiti Brunei Darussalam (Brunei)
– Qatar University
and many more.
The script language allows you to access a wide range of variables during runtime and gives you all the flexibility you need. Installation on your computer is included in the price.
A support voucher gives access to 5 hours of paid support. A support voucher costs €350,-. The user can purchase a support voucher any time and the 5 hours of support can be freely used when the user wants. After the 5 hours of support are used, the user will be notified via email. The support voucher expires 2 years after the data of purchase. The following types of support are included:
- Carnetsoft will answer questions, via email, concerning the use of existing functionality within 2 working days (except for holiday periods). This may refer to how to create or modify graphical databases (Virtual Environments), use script functions to define an experiment, traffic, interactions between the simulator and the user or external programs, data storage and analysis etc.
- Carnetsoft will provide scripts for experiments or debug scripts provided by the user.
- Carnetsoft will modify existing databases (Virtual Environments) or make new databases according to the specifications of the user.
Carnetsoft can also develop complete behavioural experiments for you: if you want to have your experiment developed by an experienced researcher/developer, Carnetsoft can do that for you. Because of the in-house development and experience this can often be done faster and cheaper than when you create the experiments yourself. So if you are in a hurry or if you need the skills of an experienced developer. This concerns:
- creation/modification of visual databases (virtual environments)
- creation of scenario generation scripts
- creation of subject and data specification files, so have all experiment files for all subjects and conditions ready to use
- modification of runtime simulation and graphics software
If you send the specifications of the experiment you’ll receive an estimation of the required development time and a quote. As an indication of the cost involved: an experiment normally can be prepared by Carnetsoft in 20 to 40 man hours which amounts to a price of €2000 to €4000. Included are the sources of the experiment scenario scripts and databases, you you can always modify them.
Information in Dutch (rijsimulator) can be found on a separate page.
—For more details on prices etc., continue on next research driving simulator page—
Research simulator- Page 1
Research simulator- Page 2
Research simulator- Page 3
Research simulator- Page 4
Related blog posts: